Friday, June 19, 2009

Grandpa Savage

Today is the 15 year mark since my grandpa was called home to heaven. I often get teary-eyed thinking about. Not because he's gone, but because I didn't really know him.

Grandpa died of lung cancer. The doctors gave him 3-6 months. He lived for well over a year longer. He passed on Father's Day 1994 when all his kids were home. I was 14 when he passed away. 6 of those years we lived in Dayton, Ohio. He lived in Hammond, NY. That is a 14 hour drive. Needless to say we didn't get home much.

What do I remember about him? Grandpa was a farmer and he took naps all the time. He would come to a family function, eat and then go find a place to lay down. He would also stop dead in the middle of the road if he found a returnable bottle/can. (He left $8000 in the bank just from those). I went to Bingo with him & my grandma one time. All he did was swear when someone else got Bingo. But, he did love his family. That's what I remember about my grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment